This easy-to-make delicious bean chilli is so warming and comforting, but we enjoy eating it any time of the year! It’s very budget friendly, using only pantry simple ingredients so perfect for people who are on a low budget, students and parents! You can freeze any leftovers and make yummy meals during the week or keep it chilled in the fridge for 2-3 days!
- 1 medium/small red onion, finely diced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 3tsp garlic powder/granules
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 1tbsp maple syrup or 1tsp brown sugar
- 1 tin red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 tin black beans, drained & rinsed
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Saute the onion in a pan on a medium heat setting with a little water/oil until translucent for around 6 mins.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, then fill the chopped tomatoes tin with water until it reaches almost to the top, pour the water into the pan then add the vegetable stock. Give it a good stir. (optional – i prefer to blend the tomato mixture using a hand stick blender until smooth, i just prefer the texture this way)
- Once blended (if you did) add all the spices and seasonings, maple syrup/sugar and the beans. Bring it all to boil on a high heat setting, then once it all starts to bubble, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 30 minutes until the sauce has reduced. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with rice, sweetcorn and avocado! Enjoy! 🙂
PS – If you make this recipe, i would love to hear what you think! Let me know what you think by commenting below. Or if you take a photo, post it on Instagram and tag @nourishingalex and i will happily share it on my Insta-Stories! THANKS, Alex ❤