Easy and delicious vegan shepherds pie. So comforting, satisfying and full of so much goodness! This is one of our favourite family meals! We could eat this everyday!
You can also freeze your leftovers in the freezer for meals during the week!
- 1kg sweet potatoes, peeled & washed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 2tsp garlic powder)
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, diced
- 1tsp dried basil
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can lentils, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 knob vegan butter
- A sprinkle of nutritional yeast (optional)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan/400F/gas 6.
- To make the sweet potato mash: slice up your sweet potatoes and place them in a pan of boiling water. Cook until nice and soft, then drain the water from the pan, add a knob of vegan butter, a sprinkle of nutritional yeast, season with salt & pepper, then mash until fluffy and creamy. Set aside.
- Next sauté the onion, garlic & finely chopped carrot in a large separate saucepan on high for 10 minutes using a little water to steam fry until the onion is see-through and the carrot is almost soft.
- Add in the diced mushrooms, further cook for another 5 minutes until the mushrooms are soft.
- Stir in the dried herbs, cook for 1 min until fragrant, then pour in the chopped tomatoes, 1/2 can red kidney beans & lentils, season with salt & pepper, cook for 6-7mins.
- Add the lentil & mushroom filling into a medium sized baking dish, then smooth over the sweet potato mash on top making patterns using a fork.
- Bake in the oven and cook for 20 minutes until piping hot and the mash is almost crisp on top. Serve with green veggies! Enjoy!
PS – If you ever end up making this recipe, let me know what you think by commenting below. I always love to hear what people think! Or if you managed to take a photo, post it on Instagram and tag @nourishingalex so i can see it and i will share it on my Insta-stories! THANKS! Alex ❤