This is one of my go to pasta recipes, because its just so easy and simple to make yet so hearty and satisfying. The Italian tomato sauce is so so flavoursome and there is plenty of plant protein from the kidney beans! You must sprinkle the pasta with lots of nutritional yeast when you serve it in your bowl, because you haveeee to. Okay? It’s so good 😛
- 2-3 servings of pasta
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 small onion, diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced/2 tsp garlic granules
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 400g can plum/chopped tomatoes
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1tbsp cornflower
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce (optional for a little kick SO yum)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar/brown sugar/maple syrup
- salt & pepper, to taste
- To make the tomato sauce, sauté the onion & minced garlic cloves in a saucepan using a little water/oil on a medium/high heat for 10 mins until the onion is see through.
- Turn the heat down a lil, then add the tomato purée, stir in the dried herbs (and garlic granules if your not using garlic cloves). Cook for 1 min until fragrant.
- Pour in your can of tomatoes, lemon juice, sugar, sriracha & cornflower. Season with salt and pepper, bring to boil, then turn the heat down to simmer for 10 mins until piping hot.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta and the red kidney beans together in a pan of boiling water at the same time according to pasta cooking instructions.
- Once the pasta is cooked as the beans are soft. Drain the water from the pan through a colander, then add the beans and pasta back into the pan.
- Pour your tomato sauce over the pasta and stir it all in. (You can also wilt in some spinach if you like) Serve, sprinkle with nutritional yeast and enjoy!
PS – If you make this recipe, i would love to hear what you think! Let me know what you think by commenting below. Or if you take a photo, post it on Instagram and tag @nourishingalex and i will happily share it on my Insta-Stories! THANKS, Alex ❤