To get us into the festive season, we love having this gingerbread porridge with gingerbread men sprinkled on top. This has all the gingerbread flavours and whilst cooking, it sends off the most festive aromas. Such a fun way to shake up for porridge in the mornings!
- 80g oats
- pinch of salt
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1/4tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbsp maple syrup/molasses
- splash of plant milk according to your desired consistency. (I use oat milk)
- 1 medium ripe banana, sliced in 1/2
- Pour your oats into a saucepan, stir in the ginger, cinnamon & salt then add 1/2 the banana chopped into chunks.
- pour over some boiling water from the kettle until it just covers the oats and stir until gloopy. Allow the oats to soak for 5 mins to soften.
- Add in the vanilla extract, maple syrup/molasses and splash of plant milk and give it a good stir.
- Heat the porridge up on the hob until piping hot and creamy. (Add more milk for a creamier consistency, cook for longer for a thicker consistency).
- Serve in your bowl and top with the other half of banana, and your desired toppings. I added dairy-free coconut yoghurt, pomegranate, some vegan gingerbread men, sprinkled with extra cinnamon and drizzled with more maple syrup. Enjoy!
PS – If you make this recipe, i would love to hear what you think! Let me know what you think by commenting below. Or if you take a photo, post it on Instagram and tag @nourishingalex and i will happily share it on my Insta-Stories! THANKS, Alex ❤